Menswear is classic and traditional, so accessories are a great way to add style to any look. A solid mens wardrobe can be built with 20 total pieces, but you look better when you arrange it in the right way by adding finishing touches to polish it off. In this post, learn how to style mens accessories to sharpen your look; one that says I know what I want and isn’t boring and business as usual.
Visualize this: you’re celebrating your MBA degree at an upscale steakhouse in Tribeca, and you wear a basic black suit with a white dress shirt to dinner. What looks better — a bare bones black suit paired with a plain white dress shirt without any accessories…
….Or, styling your look with a tie, socks, watch, pocket square, belt and dress shoes that all have a camel brown color or texture that sharpens your entire look and everyone compliments your style? You might even strike up a conversation with your next boss at the table next to you.
15 Mens Accessories You Can Add To Your Look.
- Cuff links
- Pocket squares
- Bow ties
- Suit styles
- Tie bars
- Types of hats
- Shirt collars
- Types of shoes
Accessorize Without Being Offensive.
There’s a few golden rules when it comes to accessorizing menswear. Don’t over do it; unless you got it like that. It’s also important to match a man’s age to his accessories. For instance, a 50-year old white, suburban dad wearing an Adidas Culture Box flex hat with a high crown and a flat bill from his favorite NFL team is not appropriate. For one, it’s straight up cultural appropriation; and it looks like you’re trying to pull off 20-something street style when the closest city is over 75 miles away. Don’t do it! Be your true self. Wear accessories that match your age, your current lifestyle, and your zip code. A classic dad hat with a curved bill and low crown would look much better on an older suburban dad.
Wear The Right Belt Size.
Buy belts two sizes up from your waist size. For example: if you wear a size 30, buy a size 32, so you have flexibility. You also want to make sure your metals match. If you’re wearing a matte metal belt; then wear metal jewelry, accessories, etc.
5 Mens Accessories And How To Style Them.
How To Style Mens Pocket Squares:
- Dark, patterned pocket squares gives a welcoming visual and anchor to a light colored suit.
- Be mindful of color. Compliment the tie and shirt, but don’t match them.
- Matte finishes better than shiny.
How To Style Mens Dress Socks:
- Socks should match the pant leg, not the shoe.
- No white socks allowed unless you’re working out or playing sports.
- If your pants are rolled up, don’t show the skin in between your pant and shoe.
How To Style Mens Ties:
- Tie knot should always conceal the collar band behind it. If it doesn’t it’s too loose.
- Ties run button to button.
- There are 85 ways to tie a tie; choose the one you want and master it.
- Make sure the tie fits the proportion of your chest.
How To Style Mens Scarves:
- Be mindful of the weight of the scarf.
- Match the weight of the scarf to the venue and the weather.
- Use complimentary colors as you would with a necktie.
How To Style Mens Watches:
- Leather strap should match the shoes and belt color.
- Watch should match the clothes.
- Don’t mix a sports watch with a suit. This goes for Apple watches, too.
- Wear it securely around the wrist.
WHAT TO DO NEXT.
Pick 3-5 mens accessories to add to your look this week. Sharpen your style using the suggestions above. Notice the difference in the mirror when you wear a bare bones, business as usual suit, and then how much better you look when you style your accessories. Make sure you have plans after work, so you can show off your new look and enjoy the compliments that follow.
Comment below and share which accessories you’re adding to your wardrobe this week. I’d love to know how it worked out.